Paul Burks' attorneys pulled the delay tactic one more time. On July 4th, the day before his criminal trial was set to begin, they filed a Motion to Continue Docket Call/Trial, claiming they'd been buried under an avalanche of new evidence.
In just 2.5 weeks, the government dumped nearly 17,000 additional documents on the defense. Then came the knockout punch: on Sunday evening, July 3rd, prosecutors produced another 8,000 pages. Burks' lawyers said they needed more time to wade through hundreds of pages of expert analyses, victim interviews, and supporting data they'd never seen before.
That wasn't all. On June 28th, the government added 23 new witnesses to its list—bringing the total to 60 people. Most of these witnesses had never been identified before.
The judge wasn't buying it.
Prosecutors in their response filing essentially called foul. The government said Burks' attorneys were being melodramatic and overstating the significance of the new witnesses and documents.
Here's what the government actually produced: Discovery volume 57 on June 16th contained roughly 8,297 pages. But here's the catch—about 7,689 of those pages were just copies of bank and financial records from the Receiver, information Burks' team already had access to. Another 400 pages covered Montana's investigation into ZeekRewards, which the defense already knew about.
Volume 58 followed on June 29th with only 264 pages.
Volume 59 came on July 3rd with approximately 8,285 pages. Again, the bulk—7,054 pages—was simply duplicate IRS Tax Transcripts that had been provided before. The remainder was backup documentation for expert witness Tucker Greer from Price Waterhouse Coopers.
The government's explanation for the new witnesses was straightforward: after the defense submitted its exhibit and witness lists on June 20th, prosecutors decided to interview and locate additional victims from the ZeekRewards scheme who might testify. All 23 new witnesses were people who'd lost money in Burks' operation. Each witness generated roughly one page of interview notes.
The court rejected Burks' request for a delay. His trial would proceed as scheduled.
🤖 Quick Answer
What was Paul Burks' final attempt to delay his criminal trial?On July 4th, the day before trial commencement, Burks' attorneys filed a Motion to Continue, asserting the defense had been overwhelmed by approximately 17,000 newly disclosed government documents, plus an additional 8,000 pages delivered on July 3rd evening, requiring substantial time for analysis.
Why did the defense claim insufficient preparation time?
The newly produced materials included hundreds of pages of expert analyses, victim interviews, and supporting documentation previously unavailable to the defense team, necessitating comprehensive review before proceeding to trial.
How did the prosecution escalate its case shortly before trial?
On June 28th, prosecutors added 23 new witnesses to their list, bringing the total witness count to 60 individuals, most of whom had not been previously identified to the defense.
**What was the court's response
🔗 Related Articles
- Brent Willis settles NewAge fraud with SEC for $175,000
- FFST Group Review: “Placing orders” click-a-button Ponzi
- Quantex securities fraud warning from UK
- $260,575 worth of weed found in Herbalife meal shake tins
- 10in20back Review: $10 in, $20 out?
