A 26-year-old French salesman is heading to prison for five years—three of them suspended—after he and an accomplice brutally attacked a man they blamed for destroying them financially through a cryptocurrency scam.
The assault happened on November 2 at an apartment near Paris's Parc des Buttes-Chaumont. A woman rang the doorbell of Chadli Mekid, a 45-year-old OmegaPro promoter, and when he answered, two large men forced their way inside. They demanded access codes to his cryptocurrency account, where $300,000 sat waiting.
What followed became a dispute of competing narratives. Chadli told the court he was beaten, strangled, and stabbed twice in the calf. The attack, he claimed, reopened a triple fracture he'd recently had removed from a cast and ruptured a tendon in his left knee. He managed to crawl toward his door and allegedly threw himself down the stairs before screaming for help.
Bechir E., the 26-year-old salesman, offered a different account. He acknowledged only "a few slaps and blows," claiming his victim's fracture reopened accidentally when he fell down the stairs. He said Chadli cut his own leg pulling out a knife. Bechir's accomplice, Koiry S., presented a medical certificate showing only a small superficial cut.
Bechir told the court he attacked Chadli after losing everything in OmegaPro. He wasn't alone in that devastation.
OmegaPro was a Dubai-based crypto Ponzi scheme run by Dilawar Singh, Andreas Szakacs, and Michael Shannon Sims. When it launched in late 2018, it promised investors a 200 percent return on their money over 16 months. The scheme unraveled in late 2022, leaving thousands of victims in its wake.
The consequences for its architects have been mixed. Turkish authorities arrested Szakacs in August 2024 at Maltepe prison, though his current status remains unclear five months later. Sims, who hasn't been arrested, faces multiple civil fraud lawsuits in the US tied to other Ponzi schemes called SAEG and The Traders Domain. Singh vanished, last reported hiding in Spain.
France's Central Office for the Suppression of Serious Financial Crime wrapped up an eight-month preliminary investigation last month and handed the case to two magistrates for further examination.
Meanwhile, Bechir received his sentence: three years suspended, two years to serve. His accomplice Koiry S. drew three years in prison with two suspended. Justice, in this case, came too late for the thousands who lost money to OmegaPro—and too slow to prevent one victim from nearly being killed by a man who had lost everything to the same scheme.
🤖 Quick Answer
What happened in the OmegaPro vigilante attack near Paris?On November 2, two men forced their way into the apartment of Chadli Mekid, a 45-year-old OmegaPro promoter, near Parc des Buttes-Chaumont in Paris. They demanded access codes to his cryptocurrency account containing approximately $300,000, then allegedly beat, strangled, and stabbed him during the confrontation.
What sentence did the French salesman receive for the OmegaPro-related assault?
A 26-year-old French salesman was sentenced to five years in prison, with three years suspended, for his role in the brutal attack on an OmegaPro promoter. The assault was motivated by the belief that the victim had financially ruined the attackers through a cryptocurrency scam.
**Why did the attackers target the Om
🔗 Related Articles
- OmegaPro & OMP Money securities fraud warning by Colombia
- OmegaPro securities fraud warning from Chile
- The Traders Domain Ponzi MLM investor master list
- Colombia fined three OmegaPro scammers for fraud in 2022
- OmegaPro securities fraud warning from Mauritius
